Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blog #3: Personal Statement

I am involved in Band at my Bryan Highschool. Band is like my second job, it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I go to practices Tuesday and Thursday nights all during the first half of the school year. The Band is required to learn and memorize their music and drill. I am the Drum Major, meaning I run the entire thing. My job is to keep everyone under control and make sure they all stay on task. I run the band essentially by myself as far as student leadership goes, alongside my band director.
The only other leadership in the group are the section leaders, they are in charge of their own instrument. The section leaders make sure that everyone understands the music, can read it, knows where they're going in the drill, and has what they need learned by our upcoming performance. Majority of our performances are at friday night football games. Last year, my first year of being Drum Major, we were not able to perform on our own field, because they were re-doing the turf on our homefield.
Band lasts all year long and is a full-time commitment. In the wintertime we switch over to Concert band, which to be honest, is a bit less stressful. We still have competitions, but we are concentrating solely on the music and not the drill as well. Like I said, Band is like a second job, or like my family. I am with the same people every day in my first block all year long, tuesday and thursday nights, the friday night football games, the 9/11 ceremony, the parade, the concert band competitions AND all of the fundraisers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment