Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blog #1: Residence Life With Summer Scholars

>>To be honest when I first was accepted into the program and then realized that I would have to stay in the dorms for five nights, I was nervous. I didn't know exactly what to think about it, I was very thankful for being offered the opportunity to earn college credit, but I was scared to meet new people. When I got to the dorm I met one of my roommates, then we were told we had to board the bus. I found two of my friends from school that I already knew and sat with them on the bus, I wanted someone familiar.
>>I didn't know where we were going all I heard was that we were heading out to Ashland, NE. I had no idea what the trip was going to consist of, so I just ate the turkey sack lunch they had made for us and road the bus. I actually ended up meeting a couple new people on the bus itself, I talked to the new people for the rest of the stay in the dorms. When we got there, it reminded me of when I used to go camping when I was little, a lot of amazing trees, trails and even a lake where we ended up paddle boating.
>>Then I found out I was part of the Mighty Beans group, and they told us we were going to an obstacle course. When we got there I did not expect anything that I saw, I thought the course was going to be really boring, but it definately wasn't. I didn't do very much at that obstacle course, it was the middle one and not a lot of what it had to offer appealed to me. The second day we went was a different story, I absolutely loved it. The largest obstacle course was really quite impressive, forty feet in the air and then once you climb the second level it's fifty feet in the air. I was terrified majority of the course, but the zipline at the end was an amazing reward. :)
>>The idea of doing the obstacle course right away in the program was a very good idea, because it forced us to connect with people and literally hold hands with strangers. Personally, it made me closer with the other students in the program, especially those in my group. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment