Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Blog #2 My First Week as a College Student

So, the first day of classes I actually had to go to U.S. History and I looked at the class requirements and what we would be covering and realized that I had already taken that class under dual enrollment, at my highschool. I told Liz and Maria about it and they changed me over to English so I wouldn't be stuck retaking a class, I obviously didn't want to retake.
The second day of classes for everyone was my first all over again. When I got into class I just joined in and realized that the class itself was mostly discussion. Then toward the end the teacher, Helen, handed me a TON of papers, I felt overloaded. How could I have missed that much in only one day??
The first day was the hardest, and it took a couple days to get used to her way of teaching. She doesn't lecture us or try to hammer a whole bunch of facts into our heads, day in and day out. She talks to us, as if we were her peers or equals and she holds extremely intense discussions in class.
For example, the other day we were asked what is the difference between being trained and being educated? We talked for a very long time about it, and decided that being trained means that whoever is training you makes you into exactly what they want you to be and that being educated means you are offered the chance to think for yourself.
Just yesterday, she put this thought into our heads to end class... She said do you believe that you are born with a sex, but choose your gender? We talked about it more today, the question meaning that you are born male or female, but you choose whether you are feminine or masculine.

I found discussion today, and every other day, extremely interesting. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment